Thursday, June 10, 2010

Unemployment

The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (pass me an axe) have said that Government cuts could raise unemployment to over 3 million.

Who are they kidding? Unemployment has been over 3 million for years, it's just called Incapacity Benefit. 2.6 million people claim it; some because they are genuinely unable to work, most because it is more profitable and less hassle than having to sign on every fortnight and attend pesky job interviews.

How many GPs have actually said "No you're fine to work" when confronted with someone wanting to be signed off, who appears to have nothing wrong with them?






6 comments:

Brian, follower of Deornoth said...

These people are unemployed now. They are just unemployed on the public-sector payroll.

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I know someone who was told just that when they went to sign on for incapacity benefit. I think they're living off their parents now.

phatboy said...

I don't know what things are like now, but when I was a student budding barristers could cut their teeth with the Free Representation Unit representing people who had been refused disability living allowance at tribunals. Some of the cases were quute sad where somebody was so obviously entitled to it and they'd have doctors queing up to say they couldn't work but they still wouldn't receive it.

Then again, you do also seem to get lots of people who get it but who should get a fecking job. A old friend of mine who I only speak to on Facebook now is on DLA because of a shoulder injury he's had since before I met him as an 11-year-old at school. Frankly, as he wants to work fixing and building computers and he seems to spend his life dicking about on a computer I don't really understand how he got DLA.

amigauser said...

FRANK

you don't know what you are talking about, YOU are now only signed onto the sick if you can get a specialized, DSS doctor to say you are sick

Stop repeating conservative properganda as if its true.

Hill said...

That's nonsense Amigausser, any GP can sign you off sick.

Sally said...

My GP refused to sign me off sick until I went yellow and required emergency gall bladder surgery. The lengths I have to go to to get some time off in termtime....